Conversion disorder, which is also known as functional neurological symptom disorder, is a condition in which a person shows psychological stress in physical ways. This medical issue was named to describe a health problem which starts as an emotional crisis or mental disorder.
For example, in conversion disorder, your hand may become paralyzed after falling off a ladder or horse, even if you were not physically hurt or injured. This disorder’s signs and symptoms show or appear with no underlying physical reason and you can’t control them. If you wish to know more about conversion disorder, you can go through the following given information.
Signs and Symptoms:
The various symptoms and signs of conversion disorder basically affect your movement or your senses for example your ability to swallow, your ability to walk and see or hear. The symptoms can vary in severity and may come and go. The following is a list of the main signs and symptoms of this disorder:
Signs and Symptoms that Affect Movement Function may Include
- Weakness or paralysis
- Episodes of unresponsiveness
- Convulsions or seizures
- Loss of balance
- Abnormal movement like difficulty in walking or tremors
- Lump in a throat or difficulty in swallowing
Signs and Symptoms that Affect the Senses may Include
- Hearing problems or deafness
- Loss of touch sensation or numbness
- Vision problems like blindness or double vision
- Speech problems or inability to speak or slurred speech.
Risk Factors of Conversion Disorder
The exact cause of this disorder is still unknown but the following are the various risk factors:
- A history of sexual or physical abuse and certain neglect in childhood may increase the risk of this disease.
- Having a family member with conversion disorder is also a risk factor.
- Recent significant emotional trauma or stress can also be one of the risk factors involved in conversion disorder.
- Females are more likely to develop conversion disorder and thus being female increases the risk of this disease.
- Having a mental disease or health condition like an anxiety or mood disorder can also be one of the risk factors. Also dissociative disorder or certain personality disorders may also increase the chances of conversion disorder.
- Having a neurological disease which can lead to similar signs or symptoms like epilepsy can also be one of the reasons for conversion disorder.
Preparing for your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment with the doctor, you can do the following:
- Make a list of the basic questions that you may need to ask from your doctor.
- Make a list of the symptoms that you may be experiencing and even including those which you may think are unrelated to the reason for your appointment.
- Make a list of the information about your personal family or social information.
- Also make a list of all the medications, supplements and vitamins which you have been taking.