Tonsils are the small ball like structures found at the base of your throat that helps prevent infection from affecting the respiratory tract. The tonsils have some cells that fight the germs and offer immunity against infection. However, sometimes the tonsils themselves may get infected and cause a very uncomfortable condition called tonsillitis. This is a condition that may affect adults but is more commonly found in school going children.
The symptoms of tonsillitis are fever, cold, cough, runny nose, a whitish film coating on the tonsils, sore throat, bad breath and a painful throat accompanied by redness of throat and difficulty in swallowing.
Treatment for Tonsillitis
Tonsillitis is treated by over the counter drugs like ibuprofen. However, it can also be treated effectively at home through home remedies. Find below some of the remedies that you can follow to treat tonsillitis at home:
1. The best known and widely used treatment is the salt water gargle. This reduces the swelling and at the same time alleviates the pain. The salt water also acts as an antiseptic and stops the infection from spreading.
2. Make a warm drink with a little lime and honey added to a glass of warm water. Add a pinch of salt to this drink. Drink it slowly to relieve the pain from the swollen tonsils.
3. To a glass of warm milk, add a pinch of turmeric, powdered black pepper and honey. Drink this at bed time and follow through again on the second and third night. This is like a magic potion. The turmeric proves antiseptic and the honey soothes the throat.
4. For gargling you may boil some fenugreek seeds in water, strain the liquid and use this water to gargle with. The antibacterial properties of fenugreek will help control the spread of infection in your throat.
5. Apply a bit of alum powder on the surface of the tonsils. Alternatively you may gargle with alum mixed in water.
6. Make a paste of figs after boiling them. Apply this paste on the external throat to help relieve pain due to swollen tonsils.
7. Drink chamomile tea in which honey and a little lime has been added. This soothing drink relieves pain of throat.
8. You may drink freshly squeezed vegetable and fruit juice like carrot, beetroot and cucumber to boost the immune system and fight the infection.
Photo Credit By: healthcareaboveall.com