The brain is the central organ that determines our thinking, intellectual and motor processes, and is absolutely essential to our ability to function optimally and lead a productive life.
Are there any effective ways of improving your brain health?
- Physical activity: Just as regular exercise is beneficial for your body’s health, the brain also benefits from exercises to boost its functions. These are also known as “neurobic” or cognitive exercises. They involve stretching your limits, in the way that you usually function. For instance, if you usually do your writing with the right hand, switch to the left and see how much you are capable of writing. Try getting dressed in the dark, without lights on, and see how well (or poorly) you’ll dress.
- Mental challenge: Strive to keep your brain mentally engaged and make it a lifestyle practice. Research studies have shown that an active brain slows down the mental decline associated with the aging process. Always be on the lookout for something new and what you can learn that is different from what you’ve known all along. Get out of the “I’m too old too learn” mentality. Learn new hobbies and skills. Play games that tease and stretch your brain, do crossword and jigsaw puzzles. Diversify your activities. It will help boost your memory process and brain wellbeing.
- Social interactions: Socializing with others is a fundamental activity that improves your memory and thinking processes. Socializing boosts your intellectual functions. Create some time out of your busy schedule to visit a friend, neighbor or other new people.
- Diet: Eating a healthy diet is a must, not just for your brain health, but must be one of your lifestyle practices. Identify foods that can specifically promote the health and wellbeing of your brain. Whole foods and natural produce are very beneficial to your brain health.
- Supplements are vital in sustaining and promoting good health. Look for specific supplements that can aid your brain health.
- Alcohol: Alcohol has detrimental effects not just on your brain but overall health and wellbeing. Over-consumption of alcohol is bound to have disastrous health effects on your life. Research has shown that excessive and habitual consumption of alcohol actually causes the brain to shrink over time. In any case, too much alcohol impairs your intellectual and cognitive abilities. If you must drink, do it in moderation.
- Sleep: Sound sleeping habits will benefit you all-round and are must in ensuring that your brain functions optimally. Aim to get sufficient sleep each night. It is critical to how well you can function the next day. Maintain a regular sleeping schedule so that your brain is not over-exerted by extremities in your sleeping pattern.
- Toxins and pollution: Avoid exposing yourself to harmful substances that may be in the environment, cosmetics or some food additives.
- Manage your stress levels.