Snoring is a common problem and affects 40% of the males and more than 25% of the females. It is okay if you snore occasionally but when it becomes a habit, it can affect the person sleeping with you.
Age is a common cause that leads to snoring. The throats tend to become narrower after a certain age. Snoring can also be hereditary and moreover, males have narrower air passages as compared to women and so snoring is more common in men. Alcohol and smoking can also lead to snoring as these increase muscle relaxation. Overweight people also snore.
Though you sleep peacefully, others around you have to put in ear plugs to have a sound sleep. There are some effective natural ways by which you can stop snoring. They are easy to implement and really effective.
Lifestyle changes and Bedtime Remedies
Few lifestyle changes along with remedies can help you to get rid of your snoring habit. They are:
- Losing weight can be really helpful in reducing snoring to a great extent. Fatty tissues present at the back of the throat can lead to snoring and hence by losing weight you get rid of it completely. Exercise regularly for best results as along with toning the muscles of your arms and legs, your throat muscles are also toned.
- Quit smoking and avoid drinking as much as possible. Sleeping pills and sedatives should also be avoided if possible. Talk to your doctor about this.
- Create a regular sleeping pattern and follow it. A bedtime ritual can help minimize snoring.
- Keep your nasal passage clear as stuffy nose makes inhalation difficult which can lead to snoring.
- Sleep sideways by elevating your head by about 4 inches.
Throat exercises can be really effective in curing snoring if practiced everyday for about 30 minutes. Curling the tongue repeatedly in a specific way and pronouncing certain vowels strengthen the upper respiratory tract muscles and reduce snoring.
You can try these exercises at home and also combine other activities like walking your dog or taking a shower along with it.
- Pronounce all the vowels (a-e-i-o-u) loud at least 3-4times a day. Repeat for few minutes.
- Purse your lips after closing your mouth and hold on for 25-30 seconds.
- Open your mouth and move your jaw to the right side and hold for few seconds. Repeat with the left as well.
- You can also sing and learn to pay didgeridoo.
Photo Credit By: mirror.co.uk