Urinary tract infection is a common disease that afflicts both men and women worldwide. It is caused by bacterial infection in the excretory system specifically in the urethra and ureters. The condition can cause serious discomfort and pain when urinating, and antibiotics are provided as the common treatment to remedy urinary tract infections. However, there are a number of urinary tract infection home remedies to choose from if you prefer the alternative methods.
With all the available urinary tract infection home remedies, you don’t need to spend several hundred dollars for medications or doctor’s visits. You can get relief right at home. Here are some popular and effective urinary tract infection home remedies to try:
- Combine half teaspoon baking soda with 8 ounces of water. Consuming this mixture several times a day helps to flush out the toxins and bacteria from your bladder and reduce the discomfort in a few days.
- Generally, drinking lots of fluids and water is important in flushing out the bacteria that cause UTI. This is one of the important urinary tract infection home remedies.
- Two capsules a day of Echinacea combined with grapefruit juice is an effective combination for urinary tract infection. It will cure the infection and remove the toxins and bacteria without resorting to the use of antibiotics.
- Avoid salt intake because salt will increase fluid retention, hence making the release of the bacteria much slower. If you are working with recipes that require salt, substitute it for pepper or other spices to avoid water retention.
- Cranberry juice is a great tasting urinary tract infection home remedy. It prevents the bacteria from clinging on to the urinary tract and significantly helps to remove toxins.
- If you love bananas, this is the time to go crazy and eat as much as you like. Bananas are powerful in reducing water retention because of their high potassium content, so go ahead and consume them fresh, in your cereal, or in shakes.
- Aromatherapy also plays an important role in urinary tract infection. You can make your own essential oils by blending sandalwood, tea tree, bergamot, juniper, and frankincense and rubbing this oil to your abdomen for relief.
- Adjust your diet accordingly and be sure to incorporate lots of vitamin C sources. Vitamin c is essential in preventing bacterial growth because it creates an acidic environment in the bladder as well as in the urinary tract. Complement your intake of vitamin c with alkaline foods such as milk and other fresh vegetables to ensure you get the proper intake of other minerals you need.
- If you are experiencing abdominal pain, application of hot compress to the area is one of the helpful urinary tract infection home remedies.
- Reflexology is also popular urinary tract infection home remedies, because through comforting and therapeutic hand and foot massage, the reflexologist can help relieve pain and discomfort brought about by the condition.