Have you ever heard about glaucoma? It is a group of eye diseases.
It damages the eye’s optic nerve thus leading to vision loss or possibility of blindness.
It is a principle cause of blindness in the United States. The disease occurs mainly due to the raise in fluid level in your eyes.
When the fluid level slowly increases, it damages the optic nerve.
When your eye’s drainage system is not working properly and fluid builds up, you are suffering with the condition called glaucoma. At the beginning you won’t observe any symptoms, but a complete eye examination can detect the symptoms. The earlier you recognize the symptoms of glaucoma, the sooner you can protect your eyes from vision loss.
The usual treatments for glaucoma include prescription eye drops or surgery. This will depend up on to how much extent your eyes got damaged. More than 66.8 million people around the world are suffering from visual injury from glaucoma, among which 6.7 million people are suffering from blindness. In the United States alone 2.2 million people have glaucoma.
The main cause of glaucoma is the constant production of aqueous in your eyes. It is a fluid that fills the space between the cornea and iris. The fluid filters out of the space between cornea and iris through a complex drainage system. This imbalanced state can cause your eye to get damage.
You will experience some symptoms like: rapid vision fall, severe eye pain, headache, swelling of cornea, tearing, etc. In order to stay away from these severe problems, people who are at the age of 40 or more should examine their eyes once a year and also the intraocular pressure should be checked. Glaucoma is the main cause for Alzheimer’s disease.
How to get rid of glaucoma?
- Some traditional glaucoma surgeries can give you relief, but still you need to put medicated drops in your eyes. A new glaucoma treatment procedure called “canaloplasty” is introduced. After taking the surgery you will feel the pressure in your eyes to normal level.
- This surgery is less risky than traditional glaucoma surgeries because your eye is not pierced.
- Glaucoma therapy is made in order to avoid more declines in your visual field.
- You can also use triple procedure to treat glaucoma. This procedure includes:
- Phacoemulsification – This procedure includes inserting and removing the lens
- Posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation
- Stabilizing your eye pressure can also give relief from glaucoma. This can be achieved by taking postoperative intraocular pressure after the surgery.
- A pressure sensor can be used to measure glaucoma. This is a tiny microchip that can be inserted between two layers of your eye. This chip continuously determines the intraocular pressure and wirelessly transmits the data to a close by computer. Your physician observes the data and will inform you about the possible warning signs.
The most important thing that you need to remember is, detect your glaucoma as early as possible so that it can be treated before serious loss of vision takes place.