Thrombocytes or platelets are microscopic fragments of cells that are produced in the bone marrow and circulate in the blood. These play a very important function in the blood clotting process but due to some reasons, there count might decrease and this can lead to a condition known as thrombocytopenia. If left untreated, this condition can cause intracranial bleeding and gastrointestinal bleeding.
The treatment for Thrombocytopenia or Idiopathic thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) is based on the severity but can be reduced in its intensity by following a proper diet. It is true that there are many medical treatment options present but there are a few natural remedies which can provide some level of relief. The following are the best natural remedies for treating IT blood disorder.
- By eating a lot of berries, one can increase his/her platelet count and hence people with ITP blood disorder are recommended to include a lot of different berries in their diet. Berries consist of powerful compounds known as phytonutrients which help to neutralize the free radicals in the body. Patients can consume about 1 cup of berries every day for positive results.
- Another natural remedy to treat ITP blood disorder is to eat a lot of organic tomatoes. Tomatoes consist of a potent antioxidant known as lycopene which helps to increase the platelet count. Organic tomatoes are also very high on the minerals and vitamins content. For ITP patients, it is advisable to eat tomato based foods every day.
- Consuming foods that are rich in the fatty acid Omega 3 can also help with the treatment of ITP. Omega 3 fatty acid helps to strengthen the immune system and helps the bone marrow to create more platelets. Some foods which are high on the Omega 3 fatty acid content include walnuts, spinach and flax seeds. These types of foods must be added to the diet on an everyday basis.
- The leaves of papaya fruit are loaded with complex vitamins and these vitamins help the bone marrow to increase the blood platelet count rapidly. Thus a person suffering from ITP must consume the leaves of papaya in their juice form regularly. To obtain this juice, you can puree 2 cups of Papaya leaves in a blender and drink this mixture once a day.
- Another effective way to treat ITP is to take vitamin C tablets regularly. Vitamin C is a water soluble Vitamin which gets absorbed in the body easily and can help to restore the blood platelet count quickly. Besides having Vitamin C in its tablet form, one can also consume it in the form of fruits like Oranges, Kiwis and Mango etc.
- There are some problem foods which lower the blood platelet count and should be eliminated from the diet.
- Some of these include foods which contain quinine such as tonic water, bitter lemon and bitter melon, foods which contain aspartame such as diet soda, sugar free and low fat candies and cakes, as well as alcohol like wine, beer and hard liquor.