Diabetes, also known as diabetes mellitus, refers to certain metabolic disorder/ disease in the body. The major characterisation of the disease is that it results when an individual’s pancreas is not producing enough insulin or when the body cells are not efficiently responding to the insulin that is produced. Either way the result is high blood sugar levels in diabetic individuals for prolonged periods.
Occurrence of diabetes is associated with bad lifestyle choices and unhealthy eating habits. Untreated diabetes can lead to some serious damage to the individual’s health. It is thus important that when diagnosed, proper measures to control diabetes be taken. Many diabetics rely on taking medication for the rest of the life on regular basis.
But these days a lot of individuals have been moving towards ayurvedic home remedies which are equally effective in curbing the sugar levels in the body. 4 of the most effective ayurvedic remedies for diabetes are listed here.
Bitter Gourd or Karela
- The vegetable is known for its extreme bitterness and also for all the medicinal properties it has. One such medicinally beneficial trait of the vegetable is that the vegetable extracts are active in reducing the activity of the enzyme- alpha glycosidase while also reduces hyperglycaemia. Consumption of bitter gourd is thus found to be beneficial for diabetic individuals.
- It can be consumed in juice form- ideally diabetics should consume karela juice regularly on empty stomach.
- Pieces of dried bitter gourd can also be consumed or it can be added to stir fried vegetable etc.
- Bitter melon is an alternative for bitter gourd which performs similar functions.
Fenugreek Seeds/ Methi
- The fenugreek seeds are rich in fibre and are very useful in controlling diabetes. The seeds reduce the rate at which the stomach absorbs sugar during digestion and also stimulate the pancreas to promote insulin production.
- Methi seeds can thus be consumed by diabetics.
- They can be soaked overnight inn water and the diabetic individuals must consume the water on empty stomach and chew the seeds.
- The powder from the seeds can also be consumed with water or milk on regular basis.
Indian Gooseberry/ Amla
Indian gooseberries are rich in vitamin C and thus are seen to promote the functioning of the pancreas. Consuming amla or amla juice will promote the insulin production in the pancreas and will prove beneficial for diabetic individuals. One to two teaspoons of juice must be consumed daily for duration of about 2 months to control sugar levels.
Vijayasar or Pterocarpus
The Pterocarpus (a deciduous tree widely from Deccan peninsula) is considered to be extremely beneficial with individuals suffering from type 2 diabetes. The extract from the bark of the tree has instances of reducing glucose absorption in the intestines. Ways to use the extract include soaking of the wood from tree bark in water and consuming the water early in the morning. But note that the wood has a shelf life and can be used only for a limited period.