Ringworm is a kind of fungal infection that affects the skin, hair and nails. There are various types of fungal germs that can cause this infection and some of the common infection includes ringworm of the skin (tinea corporis), scalp ringworm, ringworm in the groin (tinea cruris), foot (athlete’s foot) and nails.
Ringworm infection is common and can be easily treated with proper antifungal cream, shampoo and tablets. Some help tips that can help to get rid of ringworm infections include the following:
- It is important to wash and dry the areas that have been affected by ringworm at least twice daily. Attention should be paid in areas where there are folds and in between the toes.
- If you are suffering from groin or foot infection, make sure of changing your underwear and socks everyday as the infection tends to stick to the materials.
- And if you are suffering from scalp infection, then do not share your combs or hair bands, brushes, clips and hats/caps with someone else.
- Bed linen, towel and clothes should be washed regularly and frequently.
- It is always better to wear loose clothes made from cotton.
This medical condition is usually treated by the combined effect of antifungal tablets and antifungal shampoo. The medicine will be prescribed by your doctor after seeing the type of fungi causing it. There are many antifungal tablets and these usually have side effects and hence, make sure that you consult a doctor before trying them out.
Antifungal shampoos do not cure the infection but speeds up the recovery process. It also prevents the infection from spreading to other parts of the body.
Body and groin ring worm can be treated with the application of over the counter antifungal creams that are available that are usually effective in treating the infection. There are gels and sprays as well and you need to choose the right one for you.
These need to be applied daily for about 2 weeks to get rid of the germs completely. You might be required to apply them another 2 weeks to prevent re-infection. Sometimes, medicines along with creams are recommended by the doctor.
Antifungal tablets are commonly prescribed to treat this infection. Antifungal nail paints are also available. Tablets seem to more effective than paints but has many side effects like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Photo Credit By: mirror.co.uk