Adenoids are the small glands which are located at the back side of the throat whereas tonsils are two pieces of tissues which are located on either side of the back side of the mouth. Tonsils help defend our bodies from infections. Tonsillectomy is a surgical procedure in which the doctor removes the tonsils whereas adenoidectomy is a surgical procedure in which the doctor removes the adenoid. Both these procedures have several side effects related to them and the following are the tonsils and adenoid removed side effects:
Side Effects of Adenoid Removal
- Immediately after the procedure of getting adenoid removed, the patient might experience a condition of sore throat and sensation of pain in the throat area. He/she might experience difficulty in swallowing and a discomforting feeling during drinking or eating.
- Vomiting and nausea are the other two side effects of adenoid removal surgery. This may happen after awakening from the surgical procedure but wouldn’t last for too long.
- Bleeding is another side effect which may even last for about 10 days.
- Due to a mild infection at the incision site, bad breath might be caused after adenoidectomy procedure.
Side Effects of Tonsil Removal
- After getting tonsils removed, one may experience soreness and pain at the back of the throat or the mouth. The patient might even experience discomfort and difficulty in eating drinking and swallowing.
- Like in the case of adenoidectomy, bleeding is another side effect of this treatment or surgical procedure as well. Due to bleeding, some other side effects such as nausea etc may also be caused. But if one experiences excessive bleeding or bleeding which doesn’t stop for weeks after the procedure, he/she must seek medical consultation.
- Infections are common after a process of tonsil removal because the incision site is very likely to get infected. Infection may further cause fever, body ache and even fatigue. Due to an infection at the incision site, one may also experience bad or foul breath for a few days after the surgery.
- Unpleasant taste is another after effect of a procedure involving the removal of tonsils. This happens because a scan gets formed when the incision starts to heal. This is a temporary side effect which may subside in a few days time.
- Earache is another common after effect of a surgical procedure in which the tonsils are removed.