Diabetes is a medical condition in which the blood sugar level in a person’s body increases. Diabetes has been on a rise lately but most cases of this condition are curable and treatable. A person suffering from diabetes can easily prevent it by making healthy changes in lifestyle, diet and choices they make. There is ample number of healthy foods for diabetics to eat, which are tasty to eat as well. Being a diabetic doesn’t really mean that you have to deprive yourself of the foods you love. The following given information will throw more light on the same:
Recommended Foods for Diabetics
You can opt for the following given food choices:
- Fiber rich foods: dietary fiber is one of the most important food items that both diabetics and non diabetics must try to consume as much as possible. But especially in the case of people with diabetes, this food is important to be included in the diet. Fiber not only decreases the risk of a heart disease but also controls blood sugar levels. Some foods which are rich in fiber are: fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, wheat bran and whole wheat flour.
- Healthy carbohydrates: a person suffering with high blood sugar must always opt for foods which are high on the healthy carbohydrates. Some of these food items include beans, peas, legumes, wheat bran, whole wheat flour, fruits and vegetables.
- Heart healthy fish: since one must avoid eating high fat meats if he/she has a diabetic condition therefore heart healthy fish is the best alternative for it. Fish like tuna, salmon, bluefish and sardines are high on the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for the heart because they lower down the blood fats which are called triglycerides. But one must avoid eating fried fish and those fish which have high quantity of mercury. Examples of these are tilefish, king mackerel and swordfish.
- Good fats: good fats are those fats which can help in lowering down the cholesterol levels and examples of these are monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. These good fats must be consumed by those who are suffering from diabetes and examples of the foods which are high on good fats are olives, walnuts, avocados, pecans and peanut oils. But they must be eaten in limited quantity because large amount of these can result in accumulation of lots of calories.
- People with diabetes must avoid cholesterol sodium, Tran’s fat and saturated fat rich foods.