Vaginal yeast infection affect three out of four women. It is caused by the Candida albicans fungus. In the vagina, yeast are present. However, their growth is controlled by the acidic environment in the vagina. Sometimes, the vaginal wall cannot maintain its acidity level because of menstural period, douching or certain diseases like diabetes. When this happens, yeast grow in number causing irritation and itchiness in the vagina.
There are a lot of treatment options for yeast infection. Either they can be treated through antibiotics and creams as well as other yeast infection home remedies.
Most of the time, women try yeast infection home remedies rather than getting into proper chemical medication. They are safer and less expensive such as the following:
- Tea tree oil: This is an effective yeast infection home remedy. It can be used for douching in lieu of chemical sprays that destroy healthy bacteria in the vagina. However, this yeast infection home remedy is not advisable for pregnant women.
- Yogurt: Another effective yeast infection home remedy is yogurt. Eversince, yogurt is known for its many nutritional values because it contains lactobacilli. These active cultured bacteria fight off yeast that thrive in the vagina. As a yeast infection home remedy, simply dip the tampon on unsweetend yogurt before inserting into the vagina. For other types of vaginal infections, this yeast infection home remedy may be directly applied to the affected surface.
- Garlic: One of the most relied upon herbal medicines is the garlic. It is known to decrease risks for heart and other kinds of diseases. Garlic is also an effective yeast infection home remedy because of its antiseptic properties. As a form of treatment, a whole garlic may be peeled and inserted into the vagina. It can also be eaten and chewed raw.
If yeast infection home remedy is no longer feasible, it is always best to consult a doctor who may recommend antibiotics as treatment. Meanwhile, it is also helpful to practice proper hygiene as a means of preventing yeast infection. Keeping the vagina clean and dry prevents the growth of more yeast. To do this, here are some yeast infection home remedies that one can follow :
- Stay dry all the time. Yeast multiply in number whenever the vagina is moist. Always keep your vagina dry after showering. Avoid sharing bath towels.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene. The chemicals present in these sprays alter the vaginal ph balance causing yeast to grow more.
- Stay loose. Too tight underwear and jeans can cause irritation.
- Avoid using pills as contraception. Pills contain chemicals that increase glycogen in the vagina thereby producing more food for yeast production. On a separate note, using condoms can be helpful as this reduces the risk of yeast infection to be transmitted.
Yeast infection also affects men. Yeast usually thrive in the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis. However, this does not manifest any symptoms. Babies are also prone to yeast infection such as diaper rashes.