It was bad enough that TV and video games are so all pervasive that they have the potential to take over our lives and leave vacant and glassy eyed. And then came along 3-D technology; not only into the multiplexes but also into our homes with 3-D TV.
Dimensional picture technologies certainly have the potential to transform our TV and movie viewing experience. But, hidden there in are a number of potential health risks associated with 3-D TV; and 3-D TV manufacturer Samsung themselves tell us about some of them:
- 3-D viewing can cause feelings of lightheadedness and dizziness.
- There could be problems with depth perception, headaches and eyestrain.
- It can also cause nausea and motion sickness.
- There could even be the risk of twitching and convulsions; particularly among those that suffer from epilepsy.
- Children are required to be closely monitored because they are more at risk.
- Frequent breaks are advised, particularly for those who are in poor condition physically, if they are sleep deprived or if they are under the influence of alcohol.
- 3-D TVs are not to be placed near open stairwells and/or balconies, or close to any place where there is scope of falling and injuring oneself.