We’ve all heard that Laughter is the best medicine but this is one cliché that is really true, since laughter is beneficial to the body in a variety of ways.
Not only does laughter cheer you up, it is infectious and can cheer up those around you as well spreading good cheer and happiness. Laughter can:
- Reduce Stress: Laughing lowers the level of stress hormones in the body and releases endorphins, which are our happiness hormones. Endorphins make us feel good and also are known to relieve pain.
- Improve immunity: laughter can increase the level of antibodies in the body, which fight disease and infection causing bacteria and viruses.
- Burn calories: While you cannot substitute your half hour daily walk with a half hour worth of your favorite sitcom, laughter does in fact burn a small amount of calories and has been described as a way to massage your internal organs!
- Can lower high blood pressure, improve circulation, and strengthen cardiovascular functions.
- Promote a sense of well being and happiness
So remember there are many reasons to laugh, it doesn’t just make you feel good, it is great for you, and the health of your heart, your body, your mind!