Hernia is a condition in which a tissue or organ squeezes through a weak spot or a hole in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue called fascia.
Several types of hernia can affect you. They include:
- Inguinal – A most common type in the groin
- Incisional – Through a scar
- Femoral – Occurs when the intestine enters the canal carrying the femoral artery into the upper thigh
- Umbilical – Occurs around the belly button
- Hiatal – Occurs when the stomach squeezes through the hiatus
Some people, particularly men are predisposed to getting hernias because they are born with a weakness in the abdominal wall. Though you don’t have this weakness, any action which causes the bowel to move through the abdominal muscle weakness can cause hernia.
Typically these activities can cause increased abdominal pressure. Also, lifting heavy objects and obesity are also the causes of increased abdominal pressure.
Are hernias can be dangerous and how they can be treated?
Inguinal hernia can sometimes cause few or no symptoms. Hernias can be rather risky when a section of intestine is incapable to be pressed back through the imperfection in the abdominal wall and becomes trapped.
Due to this trapped bowel, there is no blood supply to the bowel hence it may die. In this condition it requires an immediate surgery.
When medicines fail you need to seek for surgery to treat hernia:
Surgery is essential for hernia patients who are suffering with symptoms of GERD when medicines can not control their condition. One of the most popular operations is Nissen fundoplication. This help to eliminate the symptoms up to 90 percent.
How to minimize the chances of getting hernia?
There are number of things that you can do to decrease the chances of getting hernia. Most of them are focused on preventing increased abdominal pressure.
- Avoid eating high fiber foods, taking plenty of fluids, doing lot of exercise and taking stool softeners when required.
- Avoid lifting the heavy substances incorrectly as it can cause hernia. You should be very careful when lifting heavy objects and you need to learn the right to push and pull these heavy objects.
- Completely avoid smoking or secondhand smoke as it can cause coughing.
- Taking allergy medications can also decrease the chances of getting hernia as they can cut down coughing and sneezing.
There is also a greater chance to get hernia once it can be treated. These treatment options can give your relief from this connective tissue disorder.