Pleurisy is often heard from the people who are suffering from acute chest problem.
In medical terms, when the two double membranes that lines the chest cavity and surrounding the lungs get inflammable, it can cause pleurisy.
These membranes are like satin clothes rubbing each other when the lung expand and contract while breathing.
But in the case of pleurisy these satin membranes due to inflammation make themselves rough, irregular and crisscrossing among each other leading the breathing harder and creating a sharp pain at the area of intersection. Almost every time you breathe, the pain can be felt.
Pleurisy connected to Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE):
SLE is also a self immune disease (where the body attacks itself) causing the tissues inflammable and swollen, but it’s not contagious.
The cause of pleurisy is perfectly not known, but it can cause due to viral infection affecting the pleura, a blood clot in the lung or an auto immune disease where the body attacks it self.
Hidden cause of pleurisy:
The exact cause is not known but some underlying medical conditions state that this is caused due to
- Acute viral infections such as influenza
- Pneumonia(bacterial infection); in this case the affected part of lung involves pleural surface
- Rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune hepatitis and sarcoidosis
- Injury, rib fracture, collapsed lung
- A blood clot (pulmonary embolus) in the artery of the lung.
- A disease that can affect the routine of lung functions.
The above cases can cause pleurisy or may not cause it. But these are not the perfect reasons behind pleurisy causes.
How to detect pleurisy?
The pleurisy can be easily detected by the following warning signs:
- Slight Fever
- Cough and chills
- Shortness of breath
- Weight loss
- Poor appetite
- Sharp chest pain during breathing
- Rapid thin or small breaths
- Failure to take a deep breath
- Itching at the back (at the location of the lung but no rashes are found)
Does natural remedy cure pleurisy?
Acupuncture therapy, botanical medicines (herbs) are natural remedies for lessening the pain. Asclepias tuberosa (herbal root) is a herbal remedy used to treat pleurisy. This root helps to decrease the pain inflammation and breathing difficulties.
An anti bacterial dose is enough for treating bacterial pleurisy, but for viral infections anti biotic dose is not enough. Specific therapies are considered for chronic illness that often causes pleurisy to fall down. The out come of the treatment depends upon the seriousness of the disease.