- Stem Cell Find For Child Cancer
Scientists have uncovered a stem cell in dogs which could lead to new treatments for bone cancer in children, according to an Edinburgh study.
- Vitamin D ‘May Help Slow Ageing’
A vitamin made when sunlight hits the skin could help slow down the ageing of cells and tissues, say researchers.
- Low Dose Of Serotonin-Acting Chemical Improves Blood Sugar Tolerance
An appetite-suppressing chemical also improves glucose tolerance and lowers insulin levels in obese and diabetic mice, researchers report in the November issue of Cell Metabolism, a publication of Cell Press.
- Drug Slows Prostate Tumor Growth By Keeping Vitamin A Active
A novel compound that blocks the breakdown of retinoic acid, derived from vitamin A, is a surprisingly effective and “promiscuous” agent in treating animal models of human prostate cancer, say investigators from the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
- Study: Anti-Smoking Vaccine Effective
A shot that robs smokers of the nicotine buzz from cigarettes showed promise in midstage testing and may someday offer a radically new way to kick a dangerous habit.