A minimally invasive diagnostic medical procedure which is used to asses the interior surfaces of an organ by inserting a tube in to your body is know as endoscopy.
The instrument which is used for endoscopy may have a flexible or rigid tube and it provides an image for photography and visual inspection.
Other than the production of the image for visual inspection and photography, it also enables to take biopsies and retrieval with foreign objects.
The procedure of endoscopy is painless, except in some cases it leads to mild discomfort. Most of the patients tolerate this procedure of endoscopy with topical anesthesia of the oropharynx only. This anesthesia will be given by using lignocaine spray.
There are fewer chances for obtaining complications in endoscopy. Out of 100%, only 5% of operations have the chances to attain complications. In rare situations, the complications which have occurred by this process will be solved by performing open heart surgery.
The endoscope consists of some components such as
- A flexible or rigid tube
- For illuminating the object or organ which is under inspection, a light delivery system is used.
- The light source will be normally present out side the body. That light source is typically directed into the body via or by using optical fiber system.
- A lens system is present in endoscope, to transmit the image to the viewer from the fiberscope.
- An additional channel is used to allow the entry of manipulators or medical instruments.
How to prepare for endoscopy:
- Your stomach should be empty before performing this to attain safe and complete examination.
- Before endoscopy you will be asked not to eat or drink anything for six hours or more.
- Inform to your physician if you have taken any medicines before or if you feel any allergic symptoms in your stomach or if you have any health problem.
- This information will help or remind your doctor to know whether you need any prior antibiotic test or not. So, certainly inform your doctor if you feel any health problem before endoscopy.
Process of performing endoscopy:
- Before starting this process, your doctor will discuss with you why this test has ordered for you and what possible complications may attain with this process.
- First your throat will be sprayed with a numbing solution and most probably you will be given a sedating and pain alleviating medication through the vein.
- You will be made to lie and while lying on your left side, a flexible endoscope which attains the thickness of a finger will be passed through the mouth into the esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
- You will not feel any problem in breathing while performing this procedure. That means this procedure will not interfere with your breathing.
- You can experience little discomfort while performing this procedure and most probably you may sleep throughout this entire procedure.
Endoscopy is the safe procedure when it is performed by a physician who is specially trained in these procedures.