Do you have major snoring problems? It is a common problem in one third of adults.
This condition often causes daytime sleepiness for you and your partner.
Usually snoring occurs when the tissue in the back of the throat and the soft palate vibrates during sleep.
Vibration through the nasal passages, tonsils and tongue are also the causes of snoring.
This type of sleep disorders results in poor sleep conditions for you and your partner. Sometimes, it can also lead to other serious health problems. There are number of snoring remedies to treat snoring.
- You can use number of remedies to stop snoring. If you are overweight then you need to follow a diet and exercise plan to lessen the excess soft tissue of the soft palate through weight loss.
- You can also use breathe right nasal strips to avoid snoring, especially if you have nasal congestion.
- Your dentist will give you a snoring prevention device called as silent killer. When you worn this device at night it acts like a mouth guard and moves your lower jaw slightly ahead to allow for a larger airway opening. This reduces snoring.
- An ENT specialist can suggest you a minimally invasive pillar procedure. This procedure consists of three small 2mm wide implants that can be placed into the soft palate to sustain and stiffen the loose soft upper palate. Thus, it prevents the palate from drooping and vibrating during sleep and thereby prevent snoring.
- Some ENT specialists also use traditional procedures like tonsillectomy, laser removal of excess soft tissue from the palate and removal of the uvula.
- If there is no change after the usage of over-the-counter and conservative treatments, then you can visit your ENT specialist and seek proper treatment.
- Consider a surgery to remove excess tissues at the back of the throat.
Surgically treating snoring can cause abdominal hernia:
When you undergo a surgery which consists of incisions in the abdominal wall to remove or treat a disease, it can cause weakness of the abdominal wall. The scar tissues after the surgery are not as strong as original tissues.
The larger the incision at the time of the surgery, the greater is the risk of developing incisional hernia only in one day. If the incisional hernia is large or it is causing pain, then it should be treated. If it is left untreated, it causes bowel obstruction and sometimes it can cause gangrene that result in death.
If your incisional hernia is painless and is not too large then there is no need to treat it. If you don’t like the hernia’s bulge in your abdomen, then you can consider operation to repair the condition. But, this is not advisable for older people. Check your hernia regularly with your doctor. Consider the surgery only if it causes pain.
Sleep apnea is often accompanied with snoring. When you stop breathing for several seconds it can cause a host of health problems ranging from high blood pressure and heart disease to daytime sleepiness.If sleep apnea symptoms are noticed, first it should be treated.
In order to treat snoring, you can follow any of the above mentioned treatments.