Schizophrenia is a chronic brain disorder which interfere with normal brain functioning.
It is a very severe disorder and exists for life-long. People who have this disease can act very differently and often they are highly irrational.
They will hear voices and see things that are not there. They also believe that others are reading or controlling their minds.
Schizophrenia affects both men and women with equal frequency.
Some of the symptoms of schizophrenia include: catatonic behavior, disorganized thoughts, behavior and speech, delusions and hallucinations. The symptoms typically occur in young adulthood and it persists for a life time.
The main causes of schizophrenia include genetics, early environment, neurobiology and psychological and social processes. Brain in your body is the main organ which is responsible for thinking, feeling, and understanding around you.
If you are affected with schizophrenia, it changes your thinking, feeling, understanding and consciousness. It changes your life for the worst phase. It will be very difficult for you to think, interact with others normally, to manage the responsibilities, and to express the emotions appropriately. Schizophrenia affects every aspect of your life including work, family and your social life.
Due to some genetic variations, this disease can occur. You cannot understand these variations simply as they don’t directly disturb the function of proteins.
Treatment for schizophrenia:
As this is a life long condition, it can be rarely cured but can be treated. The chief treatment for schizophrenia is medications. You can find various medication therapies and psychological rehabilitation programs to treat schizophrenia.
- The successful treatment of schizophrenia is a life long schedule of both drug and psychosocial, support therapies.
- Medications for schizophrenia often include a combination of antipsychotic, antidepressant, and anti-anxiety medication. Keep taking the medications for life-long. But some people stop taking their medications when they can’t tolerate the side effects.
- Antipsychotic medications can help to regulate the biochemical imbalances as they can cause schizophrenia. You can find two types of antipsychotics. One is traditional and the other is new antipsychotic.
- Traditional ones can greatly help in controlling the hallucinations, delusions, and confusion.
- New antipsychotics include clozaril, risperdal, seroquel, and zyprexa. New antipsychotics can act on serotonin and dopamine receptors. Thus, they help to treat both the positive and negative effects of schizophrenia.
- Some of the atypical antipsychotics can also affect the dopamine receptors in the brain. They can also have fewer side effects.
- Antidepressants can also be used for those who are suffering from schizoaffective disease. They can effectively reduce the symptoms of depression.
- If you don’t get any relief from medication therapy then you can opt for alternative treatments.
- When alternative therapies are used in combination with antipsychotics, they can give great relief. But you must do this under your doctor’s supervision.
These treatment methods give some relief when you are suffering from severe schizophrenia.